Reading is important for children to succeed in school and life! The Million Word Challenge encourages children, preschool-12th grade, to read MILLIONS OF WORDS outside of school between February 13, 2018 – May 4, 2018. By reading together as a family, parents can help improve their children’s literacy skills and better their chances of graduating from high school. We are no longer accepting family registrations for the 2018 challenge.
Million Word Challenge - For Parents
How Does My Family Participate?
• Register today to become a Million Word Challenge family by clicking on the registration button or by calling 888.766.2242. Family registration ended on March 26, 2018.
• From February 13, 2018 – May 5, 2018 encourage your child to read as many books as they can outside of school. Help your child list all the books they have been reading in their Reading Log. Download the reading log here.
• Participate in your community and/or school literacy events, for example your school may have a family literacy night, poetry night; or your local library could host a monthly book club. For a list of community events in Los Angeles County you can look at the Actions and Events Calendar, or the weekly Million Word Challenge newsletter.
• Participate in the weekly literacy challenges for opportunities to win prizes. The challenges are posted on the weekly Million Word Challenge newsletter that Families In Schools sends out via email and/or text message.
• By no later than May 4, 2018 submit your child’s completed reading log to their school. If your school is not registered to the Million Word Challenge, you can submit the log directly to Families In Schools, Attn: Million Word Challenge, 1545 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 700, Los Angeles, CA 90017. The child who reads the most at each participating school will be eligible to win a prize.