What is the Parent Ambassador Program?
Through the Parent Ambassador Program, parents will have the opportunity to use their leadership skills in support of improving local educational policies and practices that benefit all students. The program enhances the skills, knowledge, and confidence of parents necessary to create meaningful change in their schools and community. Parents will have the opportunity to impact K-12 educational policy or higher education policy.
The overall objectives of the program are to:
- Increase parent knowledge about local and state educational issues
- Engage parents in coalition and partnership building efforts
- Encourage and increase the civic involvement of parents in local and state education policy issues
The Parent Ambassador Program for the 2018-2019 cohorts now accepting applications.
- Program Overview
- Resumen del Programa
- Aplicación del Programa
- FAQs (K-12)
- Preguntas Frecuentes (K-12)
- FAQs (Higher Education)
- Preguntas Frecuentes (Educación Superior)
What is the level of commitment to participate in the Parent Ambassador Program?
- Attend a one day orientation
- Participate in six training sessions
- Participation, after completion of the training program, in advocacy related activities
The benefits of being a Families In Schools Parent Ambassador include:
- Development of leadership and advocacy skills in a small group setting
- Opportunities to be engaged in state and district-wide advocacy campaigns
- Increased knowledge about current education policy and issues
- Participation in advocacy related activities and education conferences
- Networking opportunities with parent and community leaders
- Recognition at a culmination ceremony
How do I sign up?
You can print the application, available online and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to (213) 484-3845.
For more information, contact Alison Gonzalez, Advocacy Manger by calling (213) 201-3906. Thank you for your interest in Families In School’s Parent Ambassador Program. We look forward to connecting with you further.