Arts and crafts are not only fun for kids, but also for adults! They allow us to explore new activities and be creative, while also developing minds and bodies. Arts and crafts can also help relieve stress and remind us that we can find joy even during hard times. Some benefits of arts and crafts for young children include:
- Motor skills – kids use their fingers while creating art, for example while painting, coloring, gluing, and cutting
- Increased literacy skills – when kids make art projects, they get a chance to talk about their work
- Learn math concepts – kids recognize different shapes, count and sort items
- Develop creativity – kids get to express themselves by exploring, discovering and imagining
- Increased self-esteem – kids feel a sense of achievement and pride in their work which builds confidence
- Increased quality time– family bonding
Here are some tips to help you and your family get creative and have fun:
Step #1: Explore.
Choose any of the following craft activities.
- Projects using household items
- Let’s make playDOUGH! Video OR read instructions here
- Create your own arts and crafts project!
Step #2: Prepare.
- Depending on the arts and crafts activity chosen, you may guide your child.
- Search for items you may already have in your home. Get creative, there may be something hiding in your room that is useful!
Step #3: Create.
- Remember, your project does not have to be perfect. If you’re having fun, that’s all that matters!
- Enjoy the process and share your creation with a loved one.
To submit your challenge, please post a photo of your child enjoying an arts and crafts project on your timeline and tag it #FISWellnessChallenge by 5/25 at 5:00 PM. If you have trouble submitting your post, or if your Facebook is private, please send it to Jessica Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org.