Yoga is not only therapeutic but can be practiced by everyone, regardless of age. According to a study in the International Journal of Yoga, yoga is seen as a “form of mind-body fitness” that involves a combination of physical activity and “mindful focus on awareness of the self, the breath, and energy.”
Some of the common benefits of yoga, when practiced regularly, include:
- Feelings of relaxation
- Improved self-confidence
- Improved efficiency
- Decreased levels of anxiety
- Improved flexibility
- Improved balance
Some tips to help you and your family have some fun exploring yoga while at home:
Step #1: Find a space.
- Gather the family in an open space.
- Make sure each person participating can remain arms distance apart.
- If weather permits, get some fresh air and go out in your yard or a park, remembering to follow social distancing guidelines.
Step #2: Gear up.
- Dress in comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Make sure you have a laptop, tablet, or phone to go online.
Step #3: Follow along.
- Click here to learn a few yoga poses for kids
- For a fun yoga video for young children, go here. For teens and adults, click here.
Step #4: Optional – Challenge
- Create your own fun yoga video to share with your friends and family!
To submit your challenge, please post a photo of your child practicing a yoga pose on your timeline and tag it #FISWellnessChallenge by May 11th, at 5:00 PM. If you have trouble submitting your post, or if your Facebook is private, please send it to Jessica Torres at email@example.com.