Children today are experiencing high levels of stress and anxiety. To help them take a break, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) encourages parents to share meditation with their children. Read more here.
For this wellness tip, we ask families to take five minutes for a calming meditation. Below are some steps to help you and your family set the tone and meditate.
Step #1: Clear some space.
- Find a place in your house with little clutter or clear a small space out.
- Or if the weather permits, go outdoors and enjoy some fresh air.
Step #2: Tune in.
- Listen to some calming music. Click here for a sample playlist.
- Or turn all devices off and listen to the sounds of your environment.
Step #3: Get comfortable.
- Take off your shoes and sit in a comfortable position. This can be done by:
Sitting on the floor (butterfly style)
Sitting on a chair
Standing up straight
For a list of comfortable meditation and yoga positions, click here.
Step #4: Breathe.
- Breathe in slowly for 5 seconds, and hold your breath for 5-10 seconds.
- Slowly breathe out for another 5-10 seconds.
- Feel your breath going into your body.
- Do you feel a tingle in your fingers?
- Do you feel it going down your spine?
- Do you feel it in your toes?
- Repeat the steps under tip #4 until you reach a peaceful state.
For more tips on how to meditate with your family, visit https://bit.ly/2wj2rbc.
En español https://bit.ly/2WmrvbX.
To start a daily mediation routine, download the FREE app, “Smiling Mind.” This app was created with multiple age groups in mind.