Reading is important for children to succeed in school and life! Families In Schools, Reading Challenge encourages children, preschool-12th grade, to read hundreds of thousands of words outside of school between February 13, 2018 – May 4, 2018. By reading together as a family, parents can help improve their children’s literacy skills and better their chances of graduating from high school. Register to become a participating family!
Reading Challenge - For Parents
How Does My Family Participate?
• Register today to become a Reading Challenge family by clicking on the registration button or by calling 888.766.2242.
• From February 13, 2018 – May 5, 2018 encourage your child to read as many books as they can outside of school. Help your child list all the books they have read through the Family Reading Guide (available in February 2018 on the Reading Challenge website)
• Participate in your community and/or school literacy events, for example your school may have a family literacy night, poetry night; or your local library could host a monthly book club. For a list of community events in Los Angeles County you can look at the Actions and Events Calendar, or the weekly Reading Challenge newsletter.
• Participate in the weekly literacy challenges for opportunities to win prizes. The challenges are posted on the weekly Reading Challenge newsletter that Families In Schools sends out via email and/or text message.
• By no later than May 4, 2018 submit your child’s completed reading log to their school. If your school is not registered to the Families In Schools Reading Challenge, you can submit the log directly to Families In Schools, Attn: Reading Challenge, 1545 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 700, Los Angeles, CA 90017. The child who reads the most at each participating school will be eligible to win a prize.
Resources & Tools for the Families In Schools Reading Challenge (available soon)
- Family Reading Guide (Template 1)
- Family Reading Guide (Template 2)
- Reading Log
- Selecting Age Appropriate Books
- Suggested Booklist
- Community Calendar
- Student Participating Guidelines
- Prizes and Guidelines