Welcome to Passport to Success – College & Career Edition!
We want you to follow your college and career dreams! Through Passport to Success – College & Career Edition you and your family are encouraged to participate in learning activities, take virtual tours of colleges and institutions, and attend virtual college and career sessions and events between July 13– September 4, 2020.
We will be awarding five $1,000 scholarships to students living in California in grades 5-12. Three of the five scholarships will be awarded to students in Los Angeles County.
To be eligible for a scholarship we ask that you download and complete the Passport to Success – College & Career workbook due on September 4, 2020, at 11:59 P.M. via bit.ly/PTSSubmission or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: The scholarship deadline has been extended to September 7, 2020, at 11:59 P.M.
To be eligible for the $1,000 scholarship, the selection committee will take the following into consideration. For more details please download the workbook available on June 13, 2020.
Explore colleges and trade institutions virtually. Some colleges and trade institutions are offering virtual tours, where you can learn more about the institution. Click here for a list of colleges and trade institutions offering virtual tours. If the college or trade institution you are interested in does not offer virtual tours, consider exploring the college by checking out their website and social media channels. The selection committee will be taking a look at the following in the review section of the workbook.
- Institute’s logo, address, admission’s phone number, date and time of tour
- Thoughtful reviews of your
- major, academic or career program
- campus, class, and program size
- campus location, dorms vs living at home, commute, etc.
- clubs, sports & on-campus activities
- financial aid /scholarships/cost
Attend 8 virtual events or sessions on college and career preparation. Families In Schools will be providing a series of virtual sessions between July 13 – September 4, 2020, but we also want you to explore other sessions in your community. Below you will find a list of approved sessions. If you would like to check something out, but it is not on this list, please contact Jessica Torres, at email@example.com to review, approve, and add it to the list.
- July 13, 23: Paying for College by the Los Angeles Public Library and The Princeton Review
- July 14: Exploring the College Systems: UC/CSU and Privates by UCLA EAOP
- July 14, 16, 18: Choosing & Writing the Personal Insight Questions (PIQ) by UCLA EAOP
- July 15, 22, 29: Virtual Career Day Series by the Los Angeles Public Library – Chinatown Branch
- July 16, 5:30-7:00 PM: Finding Your Path – Career Panel Featuring, an Innovative Chef, Engineer, DreamWorks Storyboard Artist, Tech Project Manager, Banker Supporting Their Community (video always on the page for your review)
- July 16: Exploring the College Systems: Community Colleges by UCLA EAOP
- July 15 & 22, July 18 & 25, August 4 & 6: SAT Session by The Los Angeles Public Library and The Princeton Review
- July 21: UC/CSU A-G Requirements, Validation Rules in Depth Workshop by UCLA EAOP
- July 22: Virtual Career Day by the Los Angeles Public Library – Topic: Small Business To sign up, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- July 25: Understanding Financial Aid: Securing College Dollars by UCLA EAOP
- July 28: Becoming a Competitive Applicant by UCLA EAOP
- July 29: Virtual Career Day by the Los Angeles Public Library – Topic: Architecture To sign up, email email@example.com
- July 29th & August 4th, 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM: Learn how you can attend community college for free, provided by LA College Promise.
- July 30: Balancing Your Wellbeing During COVID-19 by UCLA EAOP
- July 31, August 3, 5, & 7: Summer 2020 College Workshops by First Gen Empowerment Project.
- August 1, 8: ACT Session by The Los Angeles Public Library and The Princeton Review
- August 4, 6, 8: Completing the UC Application by UCLA EAOP
- August 6th: “How to Help Your Child Become College & Career Ready” virtual workshop for parents and students by Maywood Academy. Available in English and Spanish.
- August 6th: Guide to Choosing College Majors by The Empowerment Zone.
- August 5,12: College 101: Things I Wish I’d Known Before Starting College by Los Angeles Public Library
- August 11: College 101 – Application Process by The Los Angeles Public Library and The Princeton Review
- August 11: Resume Building Workshop provided by Latino Equality Alliance
- August 12: Applying to College During a Pandemic by The College Board
- August 13: College Application Essay Writing by The Los Angeles Public Library and The Princeton Review
- August 13: 5:30 pm – Spending Financial Aid Wisely
- August 13: 5:30 pm: Finding the right college or institutional fit – Featuring USC Annenberg, CSU Dominguez Hills, LA Trade-Tech, and Cal-SOAP Advisor (video is always on YouTube for your review)
- August 15: 5:30 pm – How To Take Better Notes
- August 18: 11 am – 12 pm – Starting College in a Pandemic Part 1 by Los Angeles Public Library
- August 20: 5:30 pm – The College Syllabus
- August 27: 5:30 pm – Setting S.M.A.R.T. Goals
- August 29: 5:30 pm – University Programs and Services
- September 3: 5:30 pm – Speaking Up for Yourself
- September 5: 5:30 pm – College Majors and Minors
- August 15th – September 19th: UCLA SAT Academy (6-week program) Deadline to Register: Friday, July 17th.
- July 8th – September 9th: Summer MasterClass Series by University of California President’s Pre-College Scholars
Complete a short essay of 500 words or less detailing what you and your family, caregiver, or mentor have taken away from your experience with Passport to Success – College & Career Edition. How will this experience help you reach your college and career goals?
We will announce the winners on September 30, 2020, on the Families In Schools social media channels. Update: Scholarship Winner Announcement will take place on October 14, 2020.