Census 2020 – The Importance of Counting My Community
Last Stop on Market Street, a children’s picture book read aloud in English. Appropriate for ages 0-5. To watch the reading of the book in Spanish, click here.
This book is featured in the All Children Count: Census 2020 Toolkit. Below are some sample questions to ask your child as you read along and activities to support your child’s learning.
- Just looking at the cover, what did you think the story was going to be about
- Where were the boy and the woman going?
- How are the boy and the woman getting around?
- Have you ever taken the bus/train? What did you see?
- Who do you know that is like Nana who sees the good in each situation?
- How would people get from place to place if buses were not around?
- What kind of transportation (ways to get around from place to place) do you see in your city/community? (e.g. bus, trains, rental bicycles, etc. )
Activity for ages 2-5:
Draw a map of where you live. Click here for an activity sheet.
- What is a city?
- What city do you live in?
- What things do you find in a city/community? (e.g. churches, hospitals, roads, buses, schools, libraries, etc.)
- How do you travel from one city to another? (e.g. roads, highways)
- What happens when there are no roads or highways?