If reading to or with your child seems daunting, we are here to help. Here are some general rules:
- Make reading fun! It does not have to be perfect or too structured. Just read something every day.
- Have conversations about the topics/themes that you see written. It could be as simple as a recipe!
- Have your child pick their favorite content.
- Create fun activities that relate to the themes/topics that you read.
You can also visit these sites to get more ideas.
- Reading Tip Sheets for Parents 0-3rd grade via Colorin Colorado (resources are in many different languages).
- For older children, check out Scholastic’s Reading Tips for Parents.
- Families In Schools’ 10 Tips for Reading Aloud to Your Child.