Register Today! Reading is important for children to succeed in school and life! The Million Word Challenge encourages children, preschool – 12th grade, to read MILLIONS of WORDS outside of school between February 21, 2017 – May 5, 2017. By reading together as a family, parents can help improve their children’s literacy skills and better their chances of graduating from high school. Register to become a participating family! REGISTER
Million Word Challenge - For Parents
How Does My Family Participate?
- Register today to become a Million Word Challenge family by clicking on the registration buttons or by calling 1-888-766-2242.
- From February 21 – May 5, 2017 encourage your child to read as many books as they can outside of school. Help your child to list all the books they have read through the Family Reading Guide (available in February 2017 on the Million Word Challenge website).
- Participate in your community and/or school literacy events, for example your school may have a family literacy night, poetry night; or your local library could host a monthly book club. For a list of community events in Los Angeles County you can look at the Actions and Event Calendar, or through our weekly newsletter and Families In Schools mobile app.
- Participate in our weekly literacy challenges for opportunities to win prizes.
- By no later than May 5, 2017 submit your child’s completed reading log to their school. If your school is not registered for the Million Word Challenge, you can submit the log directly to, Families In Schools, Attn: Million Word Challenge, 1545 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 700, Los Angeles CA 90017. The child who reads the most at each participating school will be eligible to win a prize. For a list of participating schools a list will be available on February 12th.
Resources & Tools for Families (available soon)
- Million Word Challenge Family Reading Guide (Template 1)
- Million Word Challenge Family Reading Guide (Template 2)
- Million Word Challenge Reading Log
- Selecting Age Appropriate Books
- Suggested Booklist
- Community Calendar
- Student Participation Guidelines
- Million Word Challenge Prizes and Guidelines
- For questions about the Million Word Challenge please contact us at 1-888-766-2242.