PMH was founded as Pasadena Historical Society in 1924, just 50 years after the first members of the Indiana Colony settled along the banks of the Arroyo Seco. The original mission, which remains essentially unchanged today, was to collect, preserve, and exhibit materials that documented the founding and early history of the city. This was an ambitious, forward-looking mission statement in 1924, when the collections filled just one filing cabinet!
The museum’s collection got its first real home in 1932 in a room specifically designed for it as part of the new Civic Auditorium.
PMH is a private, nonprofit, community-based institution supported by generous gifts from foundations, corporations, businesses, individuals, and our members.